Friday 29 October 2021

Behavior in movement means 'application' in karate.

 

In this photo you can see that I'm executing a jodan mae-geri kekomi with tsumasaki. This can be directed to the face, in particular the eyes, also the throat at jodan level. It is not a finishing blow but it is still very effective and nearly invisible outside of the dojo. When wearing shoes, this waza can still be well applied.


On the topic of KARADA NO BUKI (the weapons of the body) I'd like to point out a few points 'lost in translation'. In the past, I have used these to conform with Western standards; however, I regret that as sometimes this is creates confusion.


Here are three examples...


HAITO            

RIDGE HAND         

(Japanese) BACK SWORD


SEIRYUTO     

OX JAW HAND       

(Japanese) BLUE DRAGON SWORD


KAKUTO        

BENT WRIST          

(Japanese meaning) CRANE HEAD



This brief post was based upon a request. One challenge I have is that while I read and write kanji, I forget that many karateka outside Japan do not. This sometimes means that they get 'lost in translation'. Beyond this point, because I'm a native English speaker, the English definitions of karate terms are also indoctrinated in me. 


These points aside and, with them in mind, by confirming the 'correct definition of aspects in karate' progression can be sped up. Such things may seem insignificant, however, conceptualization shapes ones behavior. Behavior in movement means 'application' in karate.


 押忍

© André Bertel. Oita City, Japan (2021).

No comments: