Three karateka from Saint Lucia, in the Caribbean, just completed four days of Renshusei training: Mario Juan Lans (3rd Dan) Sensei, Randall Bain (3rd Dan) Sensei and Richmond Chenery Felix (2nd kyu).
Mario Sensei when initially contacting me, several months ago, emphasized that his core objective was to return to the source of traditional Japanese Budō Karate. Accordingly, I focused on teaching the underpinning aspects of old-school Shōtōkan 基本 (Kihon), 型 (Kata) and 組手 (Kumite).
The main point I covered was as many ‘critical details’ as possible, whilst they were here.
High priorities included:
(1) Relaxation for natural energy, snap and optimal form;
(2) Ground power from the legs seamlessly driving the hips;
(3) Budo Karate (MAAI) in KUMITE practice: as opposed to sports karate distancing. <Supplementary photos below>
(4) Special focus on SHITEI-GATA: Heian and Tekki Shodan; furthermore, two of the SENTEI-GATA: Bassai (Dai) and Jion.
(5) Japan traditional standardization of authentic Budō Shōtōkan-Ryu KIHON.
I will not go into specifics as that is for them to take back to their dōjō and country. All I will say is that it was great to watch them improve over all four of the Renshusei sessions.
In addition to the Renshusei training, it was also great to spend some time with Mario, Randall and Richmond outside the dōjō.
All three are GREAT GUYS! Accordingly, I wish them all a wonderful remaining time here in Japan, good health, and continued development in Karate-Dō.
押忍!
André
©️ André Bertel. Oita City, Japan (2026).
No comments:
Post a Comment