Tuesday 11 January 2011

Karate wa yu no gotoku taezu netsu o atae zareba motono mizuni kaeru

For those of you who know me personally, especially my family, friends and students, you know that I do not have holidays from karate training. Life is too short and I've never seen the point of spending all of February "trying to get back into shape". This year, I was very pleased that several karateka felt the same and joined me, training through the Christmas and New Year’s period for a karate-do summer school. Of course, I do not expect anyone else to train through the holidays as I do, but nevertheless, it was exhilarating to see some people’s enthusiasm to keep going (especially as this was my first New Year back in New Zealand since January 2007). Anyway, the start of this year also saw the introduction of a new self-training regime, which I’ll update here today. Before I do that, I’d like to take a moment to once again thank everyone, from all over the world, who have sent me numerous messages of kindness and encouragement to keep Asai-ha Shotokan-ryu karate alive and well. This blog has thus far framed my karate journey in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and now 2011. I sincerely hope that my efforts continue to be beneficial, enjoyable, and “physically motivating”, for those who visit here. My best wishes to you (good training, health and happiness) for 2011! Osu, André Bertel.
_______

KIHON


(A) Sonoba-kihon
( 1)
Migi chudan gyaku-zuki; (2) Hidari chudan gyaku-zuki; (3) Hidari jodan kizami-zuki kara migi chudan gyaku-zuki; (4) Migi jodan kizami-zuki kara hidari chudan gyaku-zuki; (5) Migi chudan mae-geri; (6) Hidari chudan mae-geri; (7) Hidari chudan mae-ashi mae geri kara migi jodan mae-geri; & (8) Migi chudan mae ashi mae-geri kara hidari jodan mae-geri. Training summary: Approximately 30-50 repetitions of each technique or combination.

(B) Ido-kihon
(1)
Chudan oi-zuki ; (2) Jodan age-uke kara chudan gyaku-zuki; (3) Chudan soto-uke kara chudan gyaku-zuki; (4) Chudan uchi-uke kara chudan gyaku-zuki; (5) Gedan-barai kara chudan gyaku-zuki ; (6) Chudan shuto-uke {kokutsu-dachi} kara nukite ; (7) Mae-geri ; (8) Yoko-keage {kiba-dachi}; (9) Yoko-kekomi {kiba-dachi}; (10) Mawashi geri; (11) Ushiro-geri; & (12) Okuribashi jodan mae ashi uramawashi-geri kara jodan ura mawashi-geri, ushiromawashi-geri soshite aiyumibashi ushiromawashi-geri {jiyu-dachi}. Training summary: Typically 10 repetitions of each technique or combination.

KATA
To welcome in 2011 I've been covering a wide range of formal exercises (all 15 of the shitei-gata) focusing on their collective themes for self-defence. This bunkai/analysis training has included Heian, Junro, Tekki-Shodan, Empi, Jion, Kanku-Dai & Bassai-Dai. Simultaneously I've also been intensively focusing on 'technical moderation', a critical skill which I have discussed extensively in the past. Of particular importance has been `the use of toes in movement' and 'the avoidance of digression' when shifting on the embusen (performance line). I expect this to take me through until the end of January.

KUMITE
I’m presently practicing a vast array of off-timing/irregular-timing drills. This has been supplement by extensive full-contact work on "my enemy" the sand bag. Needless to say, this training has been solidly linked back to my present study of kata.
________

CONFIRMATION OF SEMINAR TIMES: This is for the Christchurch New Zealand Technical Seminars on the 22nd & 23rd of this month. Saturday the 22nd (1pm-3pm and 4pm-6pm). And Sunday the 23rd (9am-11am and 12pm-2pm). For more information click on the poster featured here: http://andrebertel.blogspot.com/2010/12/january-seminars-in-christchurch-new.html

© André Bertel, New Zealand 2011.

No comments: