Friday 4 March 2011

Real Kata is ruled by Oyo

My favourite aspect of karate is kata, in saying that, I am not a good `kata performer' in the competition sense, and never have been. My interest in kata since youth has purely been for jissen-kumite/self-defence. This mindset, in daily training, physically establishes a huge void between how karateka such as myself practice kata, and how the majority practice them...
________

"Nice performance" is not indicative of "good kata":
Many people have been kind and said things like "I like your kata on youtube". Even though I appreciate these `warm fuzzy' compliments, this type of 'nice comment' is unclear to me. If someone likes my kata I hope that means they can see what I am doing as being 'effective martial arts', even if they are unsure of the application/principles of Asai Sensei's IJKA Shotokan-ryu. Asai Sensei once said "most of the kata champions now can't do good karate, only winning karate".
________

The difference between BUNKAI & OYO: I've said this before and will say it again... "Bunkai is analysis, think of Nakayama Sensei's 'Best Karate' applications. These are not the actual practical applications but rather analyzing the movements for correct fundamental performance so the movements/positions are correct" (i.e. - like the Junro-shodan 'bunkai' featured in the photo). "This type of practice is useful when learning a respective kata for the very first time. It is NOT FOR ONGOING PRACTICE. Oyo on the other hand is practical 'application' for actual self-defence. Oyo makes is what makes every kata a lifelong challenge to master".
_________

SOME FOOD FOR THOUGHT: "Real kata is ruled by OYO". Kata if practiced as a martial art is ruled by oyo, not precise performance to merely look impressive to win competitions, show off etc. For the traditional karateka "performance is beautiful based on effective technique". Obviously this type of precision is very different to that of sports karate kata and no longer the norm in the karate world. IJKA endeavors to maintain kata, as a traditional Japanese martial art of self-defence, based on the teachings of Shuseki-Shihan Tetsuhiko Asai. As a deshi of Asai Sensei, this will always remain as one of my core goals when passing on the kata of IJKA Shotokan-Ryu to others.
_________

© André Bertel, New Zealand 2011.

No comments: