Tuesday 1 January 2008

New Years Day 2008

It is hard for me to believe that 2007 is over, and we've already entered 2008! I've been back in Japan training for over nine months now. Those months have been filled by fabulous karate practice, and much technical development. Before this particular trip to Japan, I really (technically) feel I was a white belt, in comparison to where I'm at now.

Now after many training stints here in Japan, and in particular, this one, I think can finally do OK karate. But clearly, to get past this level, literally means that I must remain as a white belt in spirit. This is not false modesty, but rather 'utter truthfulness', as it is 'the only way' in karate.
_________________________________
Clinging to past achievements (also affiliations, titles, and the like) and resting on them is the biggest enemy of the karateka. All that matters is ones 'technical ability'; the here and now.



My karate has no past, no nothing. I BEGIN KARATE FROM TODAY. My New Years resolution is to keep on this straight and narrow path. I sincerely hope my blog helps you on your karate journey through 2008. OSU! Andre



PS - The snow is falling here in Kyushu, so it should ensure a hard Kangeiko (Winter Training). I'll provide a written report on this, with hopefully some photos, in the next few days.
____________________


© André Bertel, Japan 2008

No comments: