Thursday 6 March 2008

The 'Pinak Kata' Dogi

I just received my new custom made do-gi and silk kuro-obi.
I was recommended to try Hirota’s very latest karate uniform, the 'Pinak Kata'. I certainly do not regret trying this dogi, as it is the most comfortable I’ve ever worn.

I changed my measurements this time (longer arms and legs) and more space for freer movement. All in all, I never buy dogi for ‘snap’ or special effects, like many kata competitors do. I primarily buy for comfort and how the uniform sits on my body (i.e. – does not distort my stances and techniques). Essentially I want a karate uniform which shows my exact body form, both mistakes and areas of excellence (if there are any). Obviously hiding mistakes and/or good points does not assist in my technical growth, so the 'right' dogi is a must!
Based on my requirements the Pinak Kata easily gets five stars from me.

© André Bertel, Japan 2008

No comments: