Friday 22 January 2010

New training regime

Kihon: My current training routine is concentrating on 12 simple ido-kihon waza (listed below). My repetitions of each technique is four to eight in each direction. I'm averaging between 16 and 32 repetitions paying much attention to moderate hip rotation (not a full 'side on' hanmi), and power from hip propulsion.
Anyway, here's the rundown on my present kihon-geiko.
________

(1) Sanbon-zuki; (2) Chudan gyaku-zuki; (3) Jodan age-uke kara chudan gyaku-zuki; (4) Chudan soto-uke kara chudan gyaku-zuki; (5) Chudan uchi-uke kara chudan gyaku-zuki; (6) Gedan-barai kara chudan gyaku-zuki; (7) Chudan shuto-uke (kokutsu-dachi) kara tate shihon-nukite; (8) Mae-geri; (9) Yoko-keage (kiba-dachi); (10) Yoko-kekomi (kiba-dachi); (11) Mawashi-geri; (12) Ushiro-geri.
________

Kata: From today I've started to exclusively work on Gojushiho-Dai. I feel pretty very rusty on this kata, which is pretty shameful, considering I spent so much of my life intensively practicing it. On a positive note, a nice 'renewed' challenge!
________

Kumite: I'm having a break from the aggressive attacking style of kumite, I was practicing so much of, in November and December 2009. In saying that, according to my training partners, and private students, my hangeki (counterattacks) in jiyu-kumite are more aggressive than my kogeki! So that is a feather in my cap. As much as I love kata, I've always been naturally better at kumite, but of course, kata in karate-do is everything, the soul/tradition of our martial art. Therefore, my goal is always to align my kumite with my kata. As Asai Sensei always said "Step-by-step".
_______
Best wishes and healthy training from Oita-ken, Japan.
_______
© André Bertel, Japan (2010).

No comments: