Wednesday 8 November 2023

30th Anniversary since first coming here to Japan

Kumite with my dear friend, the late Morgan Dilks Sensei. 

This month marks my thirtieth year since I first came to Japan to study Shotokan Karate-Do. 15 of those years, I've lived and trained here daily. This ranged from several three months stays; a three-year stay; and now, an over ten-year stay.


More importantly I have been personally mentored by many of 'The  JKA Shotokan Greats'. Especially, of course, Asai Tetsuhiko Sensei. But also, the likes of Osaka Yoshiharu Sensei, Nakamura Masamitsu Sensei, and others
.


Learning from the very best in the world, in this environment, and for so many years, is: (1) the foundation of my own karate; and (2) the foundation and content of what I teach/pass on to Renshusei (Trainees) here at my dojo and in Technical Seminars: here in Japan and abroad.


My efforts in learning from these great masters, over these years, has not only been to improve my own karate, but to also build up the best Shotokan karateka in the world. Furthermore, to preserve this knowledge internationally, which has not been openly taught outside of Japanese karate inner circles. 


押忍, André

© André Bertel. Oita City, Japan (Novembe2023).

No comments: