Wednesday 29 January 2014

We can always adapt karate-do training according to our condition

Last week I was diagnosed with influenza.

Anyway, to keep my body moving (and practicing a little) whilst unwell and resting at home, I used the chance to go through small sections of kata. For example, movements 1-3 of Bassai Dai; various sections of Kanku Dai—especially the last quarter; gedan barai kara age-zuki in Empi; and the gedan-barai doji ni jodan uchi-uke (followed by both kagi-zuki and sokumen jodan morote-uke) in Jion.

Clearly, nothing can replace actual training sessions; nevertheless, this still gave me some aspects to work on whilst sick. My point is that, if we are determined enough, we can always adapt karate-do for our condition.

Finally, I’m back to the norm this week. However, in light of the aforementioned comment, I will be taking it easy: to allow my body ‘the chance’ to fully heal and, more importantly, to avoid a relapse. Kindest regards, from Kumamoto-ken, André.
© André Bertel. Aso-shi, Kumamoto, Japan (2014).

No comments: