Thursday 21 December 2023

形 or 型 ?

 Many instructors use the kanji as opposed to for KATA. I tend to use as I personally follow the 'old style JKA Shotokan' (and the extensions/advancements of this style: researched, developed and introduced by Asai Tetsuhiko Sensei).

Nevertheless, for advanced karate practitioners (from a kanji perspective) probably is more appropriate in the context of self-training.

 

Let me explain the basic difference between the two kanji:  to convey what I’m meaning by this comment.

 

1.  (Kata)

Meaning: ‘Type’, ‘(Set) Model’, ‘Mould’

 

2.   (Kata)

Meaning: ‘Shape’, ‘Form’, ‘Style’


In Japanese conveys a far more set routine. Whereas the kanji  somewhat insinuates 'plasticity'; that is, ‘less strictness’ and, potentially, adaptability.

 

Self-training: December 20th, 2023. -- Jodan heiko-zuki (Kiba-dachi).

While I tend to favor the first of the two, in my self-training, and when teaching others, I’m always seeking individual optimization; therefore, in actuality is more appropriate. To conclude kata, for advanced karate practitioners, must evolve into ‘alive fighting forms’ as opposed to merely being empty routines.

押忍, André

© André Bertel. Oita City, Japan (2023).

No comments: