Wednesday 1 December 2021

Welcome to Winter: Updated daily self-training regime

Today we officially entered winter here in Japan. So I decided to post my current self-training regime. I cannot believe that winter is back! Where did 2021 go? Before you read on, perhaps you remember my Kangeiko video last year? Irrespective, take care and all the best for your training! OSU, AB. 


 

KIHON

1. (Jiyu-dachi) Kizami-zuki (Zenkutsu-dachi) kara jodan oi-zuki, uraken jodan yokomawashi-uchi (Kiba-dachi), shuto jodan sotomawashi-uchi (Zenkutsu-dachi) soshite shuto jodan uchimawashi-uchi.


2. (Zenkutsu-dachi) Ippo sagatte jodan age-uke kara chudan mawashi-geri, uraken jodan yokomawashi-uchi soshite chudan oi-zuki.

 

3. (Zenkutsu-dachi) Chudan soto-uke kara chudanyoko-enpi (Kiba-dachi) soshite uraken jodan yokomawashi-uchi (Kiba-dachi).

 

4. (Zenkutsu-dachi) Kaiten-shinagara gedan-barai kara chudan uchi-uke (Nekoashi-dachi), jodan ura-zuki soshite chudan gyaku-zuki (Yoriashi—Zenkutsu-dachi).

 

5. (Kokutsu-dachi) Shuto chudan-uke kara chudan kizami mawashi-geri soshite yokonukite jodan gyaku-zuki (Zenkutsu-dachi).

 

6. Ren-geri: (Zenkutsu-dachi) Mae-geri keage kara yoko-geri kekomi, mawashi-geri soshite ushiro-geri kekomi.

 

KATA


A. Kanku Dai (intermittently accompanied by corresponding Heian). In sum, big scale, dynamic and large fundamental Shotokan Ryu waza. Don't get me wrong here.... I hate Kanku Dai as it epitomizes everything bad about my karate; hence, this practice. What I am trying to say here is that I'm challenging myself. I recommend that to you also! Always seek to leave 'the comfort zone'. That doesn't mean things will become your 'TOKUI', but it is uplifting in all regards.

B. Seiryu and Hushu (comparing and contrasting the extreme similarities and differences between these two Koten-gata from Asai Tetsuhiko Sensei). Asai Sensei when teaching often mixed up these two kata due to their similarities. To abstractly quote Funakoshi Sensei “…wind flows through the pine”. 

 

C. Random kata from the official IKS canon. For example, yesterday was Joko Gosei, today was Chinte, tomorrow??????????

 

KUMITE

 

I. Kihon Ippon Kumite

Special points: (a) to make all attacks optimally effective if the partners defense fails; and (b) to ensure that all counterattacks, if not controlled are optimally effective. Basic karate—Seiken to the jinchu, suigetsu; Josokutei to the ago, nodo, suigetsu etc...

 

II. Uchikomi

Repetitive practice of tokuiwaza. Blitzing with standup techniques: tsuki, uchi, keri, nage, gatame and shimewaza.

 

III. Newaza

Ground fighting practice focusing on my three tokuiwaza and various  shikake (set up strategies).

 

 

I will not provide my endurance and strength/power work this month as I want to share these at a later date, via a more comprehensive article. Best wishes, André

 

© André Bertel. Oita City, Japan (2021).

No comments: